Driving in NZ (FREE Road Code tests)
Our driving in New Zealand page provides you with a range of videos, PDFs, Apps and links to provide the most up to date information about driving safely in New Zealand. Please take the time to read the below content particularly if it is your first time driving on the other side of the road and on hilly and windy roads.
Please also use DriveSafe.org.nz which is a new website developed to help you safely enjoy your self-drive holiday in New Zealand.
If you have any questions please do ask.
This is a great virtual driving guide to some of the different driving scenarios you could encounter on New Zealand roads. Please take the time to have a look.
Driving in New Zealand FREE tests
Learn the New Zealand Rode Code for free before you arrive. It is critical that you take some time to practice our road code rules before you arrive. It will only take 30 minutes or so and then you can travel with greater awareness and confidence and help keep our New Zealand roads safer for all drivers and other users.
Driving Tests currently help over 34,000 people per month learn the Road Code. Please also refer to the PDF links below for more information about driving in New Zealand.
Videos about driving in New Zealand
Travel time and distance calculator
What’s different about driving in New Zealand?
There are a few things that you need to know and may not be used to when driving in New Zealand.
- Everyone wears seatbelts
- No overtaking on yellow lines
- We drive on the left side of the road
- Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving is illegal
- 100km/h is the maximum speed or less on the open roads
- Allow extra time on our roads - journey times often take longer than expected
- NEW ZEALAND LAW REQUIRES AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENCE OR AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENCE. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER.
English drivers licence translations
We can help you with a translation. Please ask us about this. Email firstname.lastname@example.org