Before you can start your road trip in New Zealand, there's one important question to answer. Can I use my driving licence in New Zealand? Or do I need an International Driver's Licence or a translation? Well, it all depends on where you are from. Check out the info below.
Can I use my driving licence in New Zealand?
As a visitor in New Zealand, you can drive for up to 12 months from your arrival date with an overseas driving licence if you meet these criteria.
- your overseas licence or driver permit is current and valid, and
- you haven’t been given a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand, and
- you arrived in New Zealand less than 12 months ago, and
- your overseas driving licence is in English, or you have an accurate translation (like an International driving licence), and
- you haven’t been granted a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.
See for more info the New Zealand Transport Agency's website. And make sure to check out the free Road Code test and to read all info & tips about driving in New Zealand and the differences with driving overseas.
UK drivers licence
If you hold a current UK drivers licence then yes you can drive in New Zealand for up to one year without needing to do anything else. You must carry your licence with you at all time while driving. If you are planning to stay in New Zealand for over one year you will need to apply for a New Zealand licence.
With an Australian drivers licence
If you hold a current Australian drivers licence then yes you can drive in New Zealand for up to one year without needing to do anything else. You must carry your licence with you at all times while driving. If you are planning to stay in New Zealand for over one year you will need to apply for a New Zealand licence.
European driving licence
We need to be able to see that you have a valid driving licence and that it's not some library card you're showing us. Therefore the rules are simple:
- Does it say 'driving licence' (in English) on your European licence? Then you're good to go and you can drive off in your Spaceships campervan. See the photo of the Dutch driving licence to see what we mean.
- If your licence isn't in English then you need to bring an official translation or an International Driving Licence.
All other overseas driving licences
Make sure you have an English translation if your driving licence isn't in English. See the official rules & regulations above.
Important info about an International Driving Licence
If you are travelling with an International Driving Licence you'll need to bring your original driving licence as well!!!! The International licence is mere an official translation of your driving licence, it isn't a driving licence by itself. Always bring your original driver's licence.
Can I drive a Spaceships campervan with my licence?
Spaceships campervans are like a good car to drive. Therefore anyone can drive one. And by anyone we mean:
- You're at least 18 years of age (yes, we do rent to under 21s without any extra costs)
- You have a valid driving licence that meets the official rules (in English or an official translation in English)
Take a look at the campervans you can hire with your driving licence.