How to save money on your Lions 2017 tour (by campervan)
New Zealand has so much to offer. There’s heaps to do and see on the days between matches. Or maybe you're planning to stay a bit longer in this beautiful country of ours. We’ve created this list with cheap accommodation and travel tips, so you can create your very own Lions 2017 tour road trip that won’t break the bank.
Affordable and flexible travel on your Lions 2017 tour
Getting to and from the host cities of the Lions 2017 series is easy by car or campervan. Especially the latter has many advantages, like sleeping at the free or low-cost campgrounds that can be found here in New Zealand.
Plus, when you go for a compact campervan like a Spaceship it’s easy to combine staying at campsites with staying at hostels or motels. Spaceships drive like a car and sleep like a campervan.
Save on accommodation: stay at fantastic yet low-cost campsites
By using the free Spaceships travel & camping apps you'll be able to find all cheap & free campsites nearby your location. The app is powered by a database which is maintained by all travellers using the app.
Check out these low-cost campgrounds. These can all be found in the free Spaceships smartphone app (for Android and Apple devices). It shows you some of the amazing places you can stay at when making your Lions 2017 tour into a road trip by campervan. It’s just more fun than driving around in a regular car and yet it’s cheap and just as easy.
Whangarei area: Whangarei Falls Holiday Park
- Location: 12 Ngunguru Road (close to Whangarei Falls)
- What’s there: powered & non-powered sites, cabins, WiFi, hot showers, kitchen, toilets
- Price: $19 per night or tent site
- Travellers’ comments: “great location, friendly staff” and “great campsite”
Auckland city: camping at Ellerslie Racecourse
To make it easier for rugby fans to camp in Auckland, Auckland Tourism and Events and Economic Development have created a pop-up campervan park at Ellersie Racecourse.
- Location: The Ellerslie Racecourse Infield is accessed through Gate 1, located on Ascot Avenue, Remuera
- What's there: toilet and shower facilities, water, light breakfast food items and barista coffee, bar facilities, security.
- Price: $100 per campervan per day (2 guests); $15 per additional guest per day
- How to book: official website
Auckland area: Orua Bay Beach Motor Camp & Accommodation
- Location: 294 Orua Bay Road
- What’s there: powered sites, self-contained units, hot showers, kitchen, toilets
- Price: $20 per person per night
- Travellers’ comments: “It was a dream. Amazing coastline” and “Magnificent site. By the ocean”
Christchurch area: Kowai Pass Domain Camp in Springfield
- Location: Domain Road (off SH73) in Springfield
- What’s there: powered & non-powered sites, basic kitchen, showers, BBQ area, toilets
- Price: $10 for two people per night at non-powered site
- Travellers’ comments: “Excellent spot: flat & clean”, “amazing site” and “brilliant camp, lounge with fireplace”
Dunedin area: Portobello Village Tourist Park
- Location: 27 Hereweka Street in Dunedin
- What’s there: powered & non-powered sites, cabins, self-contained units, WiFi, kitchen, showers, BBQ area, toilets
- Price: N/A
- Travellers’ comments: “Nice place to stay in the peninsula”, “lovely place” and “near enough to Dunedin without the hustle & bustle)”
Hamilton area: Brocks Place
- Location: 227B Buckland Road in Matamata (55 km from Hamilton, 3 km from Hobbiton Movie Set)
- What’s there: non-powered sites, hot showers, toilets, picnic area
- Price: $8 per person per night
- Travellers’ comments: “nice, cosy place”, “fresh eggs from the family” and “nice hot showers”
Great campsite for rugby fans: Taupiri Rugby Club
- Location: Murphy Ln, Taupiri 3721
- Distance to the rugby games: 100km from Auckland's Eden Park, 25km from Hamilton's FMG Stadium and 130km from Rotorua Stadium
- What’s there: non-powered sites, bathroom facilities, bar and food
- Price: $40 per night
- Interesting facts: It's Warren Gatland's home club. He played for Taupiri RFC for about 8 seasons and started his coaching career at the club.
- Extra info: Facilities are only available during the Lions Tour. Usually, this campsite is only self-contained vehicles but during the Lions rugby tour, all types of campervans are welcome.
- How to book: use the Campable app (Android) or contact Lance McLaggan on +64 27 494-4603 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rotorua area: Lake Okareka DOC campsite
- Location: Millar Road in Rotorua
- What’s there: Non-powered sites, toilets, lake
- Price: $13 per night
- Travellers’ comments: “toilets were so clean”, “beautiful campground by the lake” and “really beautiful”
Wellington: Catchpool Valley DOC campsite
- Location: Rimuraka Forest Park, Coast Road (45 min drive from Wellington)
- What’s there: non-powered sites, hot showers, BBQ area, picnic area, toilets
- Price: $ 13 per night
- Travellers’ comments: “incredibly peaceful”, “walks around are nice” and “everything you need at the campsite”
More tips to save money on your Lions tour by campervan
Staying at (cheap) campsites is one way to save money on accommodation, but you can save even more on your Lions 2017 tour. Make it a fun and cheap road trip by using these tips.
- Book your campervan early (check current rates here) to lock in a low rate before prices go up due to popular demand.
- Stock up on food in supermarkets like Countdown, New World and Pak ‘n Save, so you don’t have to buy the expensive snacks at petrol stations.
- Use the fuel coupons you get at these supermarkets. That’s an easy 4 to 12 cents off per litre at participating petrol stations.
- Cook your meal at these cheap campgrounds, as Spaceships campervans come with a 2-burner gas cooker, pots, pans, cutlery and more (see 'free with your hire' for more info)
- Use the Spaceships smartphone app to find local deals and save on entry fees of attractions.