10 easy tips that will make driving in New Zealand safer
Posted on 19/08/2018 by Spaceships Crew
Driving in New Zealand isn't that different from driving in your home country. As long as you stick to the rules and remember the most important one: keep left. Always keep left as we drive on the other side of the road in this part of the world.
To make it even easier for you, we've created a list with the most important rules when it comes to driving in New Zealand.
Safe driving in New Zealand made easy
- Keep left!
- Wear your seatbelt. Spaceships can seat up to 4 people (Rocket and Beta), so make sure everyone in the vehicle is using his/her seatbelt.
- Don't exceed the speed limit. It's the maximum speed you can drive, not the minimum speed. Sometimes it's better to drive slower than the speed limit, especially in bad weather conditions.
- Drive to the conditions. If it's raining, icy or snowy reduce your speed and take extra care.
- Stop at STOP signs. In New Zealand, you have to a complete stop at a STOP sign.
- Slow down to the recommended speed around bends.
- Only overtake vehicles when it's safe to do. Preferably use a passing lane. Never cross a solid line on your side of the centre line.
- Do not drink and drive. It's the same as in many countries around the world. Alcohol and drugs don't mix with driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime in New Zealand and strictly enforced by police. Be a responsible and sober driver.
- Don't use your mobile phone while driving. Pull over if you need to make a call or send a text message.
- Take your time. Driving in New Zealand can take longer due to our winding roads and lower average speed. Take it easy and take your time. Enjoy the journey.
Be prepared when you arrive in New Zealand
Learn the New Zealand Road Code for free before you arrive. It is critical that you take some time to practice our road code rules before you arrive. It will only take 30 minutes. Then you can travel with greater awareness and confidence and help keep our New Zealand roads safer for all drivers and other users.
Do the free road code test now: click and start the test (available in English, German, Chinese, French or Spanish). It'll help you to prepare for driving in New Zealand.
Also, please check out our other NZ driving info & tips.
Videos about driving in New Zealand
Fahren in Neuseeland - Was Sie wissen müssen
Conduire en Nouvelle-Zélande - Ce que vous devez savoir
More safe driving tips
Spaceships is committed to making your stay in New Zealand fun, but also safe. We are working with the Safer Journeys programme to make our roads safe. Please visit our partner Drive Safe NZ for more info and tips about safe driving in New Zealand. If there are any questions, feel free to ask 'em. Use online chat now or ask our friendly crew when picking up your campervan.
Latest blog posts in Driving in New Zealand: how-to, tips & tricks
The easiest and cheapest Cook Strait crossing: Bluebridge ferry
If you want to explore as much of New Zealand as possible, you'll have to cross Cook Strait to go from the North to the South...
Campervan hire under 21: what do I need to know?
At Spaceships, we like to make your road trip through New Zealand as easy as possible. Anyone (with a valid driving licence) can hire our campervans....
How to secure the cheapest Cook Strait ferry rate
To answer the question which part of New Zealand is more beautiful (North or South Island) you’ll need to cross Cook Strait by ferry. It’s just...
All you need to know about the roads in New Zealand
We know you’re excited about your road trip in New Zealand, but before you start, check out the info below. We’ll about you about the road conditions...